Monday, September 7, 2009

Extra flights I don't need, can I cancel them? Flying from Baltimore to New York to DC to Mexico City

Extra flights I don't need, can I cancel them? Flying from Baltimore to New York to DC to Mexico City?
I can save like $200 by purchasing a flight that leaves baltimore then goes to new york, then to DC and on to Mexico, as opposed to buying the one from DC straight to Mexico. Can I talk to the airline and get the new york flights canceled and just fly from DC to Mexico? I'm flying with United airlines.
Air Travel - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I am a pilot for US Airways, and I have flew a couple of these crazy routes myself, while on vacation. I would say yes, but I am not a reservation/gate agent. No one on this site may be able to tell you the answer, because it really depends upon how the reservation/gate agents day is going. What you can do, is just show up at the DC airport, and check in their for your flight. Missing these other segments shouldn't matter. The people at United's counter can just delete them, its as simple as clicking a little X, thats marked delete. No, none of my answer is incorrect. The answer below me is incorrect, for calling mine incorrect. I am certain if you speak with an airline agent, you may be able to remove these flights, but dingus below be may be right about the change fee. Most airlines charge a damn fee now, to change how your flight segments are alligned. But, I have done it many times, free of charge. Enjoy your trip. Be carefull in Mexico, I'm hubed in Phoenix. I know how it is down there.
2 :
Every single piece of advice given to you in the first answer is wrong. If you call and ask to cancel the first leg, they will reprice the ticket to what it would cost for the DC to Mexico portion, as well as charge you the change fee for that. In other words, you would end up paying more for the ticket than if you just bought the ticket leaving from Baltimore and flew those extra segments. You also can't simply fail to show up for the flight from Baltimore and then expect to get on at DC -- once you miss the first flight, all remaining legs on the itinerary are automatically cancelled. This is something that is done automatically by the reservation system computer -- gate agents usually don't have the flexibility to override this. EDIT: The link below is from United Airlines' contract of carriage -- this is the document that governs the rights and responsibilities of passengers and the airline when a ticket is purchased from UA. Rule 135, which governs cancellation of tickets, says the following: "IF THE PASSENGER FAILS TO OCCUPY SPACE WHICH HAS BEEN RESERVED FOR HIM/HER ON A UA FLIGHT, AND UA FAILS TO RECEIVE NOTICE OF THE CANCELLATION OF SUCH RESERVATION PRIOR TO THE DEPARTURE OF SUCH FLIGHT; OR IF ANY CARRIER CANCELS THE RESERVATION OF ANY PASSENGER IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS RULE, UA WILL CANCEL ALL RESERVATIONS HELD BY SUCH PASSENGER ON THE FLIGHTS OF UA FOR CONTINUING OR RETURN SPACE, PROVIDED UA ORIGINALLY RESERVED THAT SPACE." (See page 18 of the PDF if you don't believe me.) The personal attacks in response to my post have been noted and bear no further comment.
3 :
yea, i did that once, just ask them to change the plane ticket,
4 :
Call United and get the right answer.......easy..........

Search News